Read for: Book Club (personal)
Read time: 2 days
- engaging read
- fairly smooth writing style
- consistent characters (until last 40 pages)
- information about an experience other than my own
- close mother and daughter relationship
Not- so- much for me:
- Kim’s character focus really seemed to drop in the last chapter and epilogue, was this the same person I had been reading about?
- The time frame of the book is really unclear- Watergate is mentioned as well as the Cultural Revolution, how long ago are these things?
- There may be a need and/or a demand for immigrant Horatio Alger stories, but I didn’t want to read one. That everything worked out through hard work and intelligence was not as satisfying as it was frustrating.
- Annette was more of a plot moppet than a genuine character foil. Matt and Curt functioned more in the latter category, but their arc was not satisfying.
I feel very conflicted about this book. My greatest regret is not completing it before my book club meeting because I would like to have been ready to discuss some of these aspects.